Pricking of any body parts to wear ornaments is becoming an attractive trend, especially for the youth. Pierced earlobes have been in fashion, a long time ago. But now it has reached the extremities to show courage to pierce any part of the body.Trend followers of fashion piercing go for pricking their eyebrows, navels, tongue, and even more.
Safety part of it:
Body piercing often becomes painful and can lead to difficulties, especially with areas other than earlobes. Piercing should be done either by a doctor, a health care professional, or a trained body piercing professional. The procedure should be done with great care to minimize risks. The possible complications and healing time of different piercings are given below;
|Eyebrow||1-2 months||Black eye|
|Lip||1-2 months||Uncontrollable drooling caused by damage to salivary –gland ducts|
|Tongue||1-2 1/2 months||Swelling, soreness, numbness, loss of taste, speech problems, chipped teeth|
|Upper ear||1-3 months||Serious infection, scarring|
|Nostril||2-3 months||Serious infection, scarring|
The equipments used for the piercing process should be properly sterilized to prevent the infection of the site and also the transmission of hepatitis or HIV. A tetanus and a hepatitis vaccination is preferred before piercing. Safe piercing is ensured by new, sterilized, disposable needle. The use of gunshot should be prevented, because it is difficult to be sterilized. A fresh pair of latex gloves should be insisted to be worn by the practitioner. The jewelry inserted inside the prick should be non- allergic, made of either gold, or stainless steel. Nickel or any other inexpensive metals may create sensitivity to the skin.
The jewelry should also be of the correct size for the particular body part. If the thickness is more, it can cause abscess and if it is too thin, that may lead to tearing of the pricked area. Doctors advise against the piercing of babies and young children. The infectivity and rate of healing may be complicated in them.
1. The pierced area should be maintained well and taken good care of.
2. This can speed up the healing process.
3. The ear studs on the ear lobes should be left as such for the first few weeks.
4. Frequent rotation is recommended to prevent them from sticking.
5. The area around the studs should be cleaned twice daily with hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, and application of antibiotic ointment.
6. The area should be washed with water and soap.
7. Certain body parts take longer time to heal.
8. Infection and scarring may result in upper ear and nostrils.
9. Crusting, swelling, redness and discharge are the symptoms of infection.
10. Doctor should be consulted immediately.
Nowadays, there are more advanced fakes available. If the piercing and pain and sufferings are difficult to be undergone, they can be easily faked by other types, such as clip- on or magnetic jewelry. A small, but powerful magnet can hold an outside stud in place. This type is good for ears, but may not be practical for lip, nose, navels and tongue. Clip- on rings may fit well on nostrils and upper ear.